Can I Reproduce the Artwork of Alex Grey?
All artwork and writings of Alex Grey are protected by national and international copyright laws, including The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Please respect the intent of these laws which support the vision of Alex Grey and the Chapel of Sacred Mirrors.
If you are unclear whether the use you have in mind is permitted, please inquire with a description of intended use to [email protected]
This document is subject to revision without notification.
WORKSHOP or LECTURE
Under the following conditions and for no fee, you may include images by Alex Grey in your workshop or lecture:
- As a power point presentation (no film or video without further permission)
- With credit to the artist while the artwork is on the screen
Permission is not given for the art to be included in a video recorded presentation for sale or for posting on the web.
Files will NOT be provided for this use.
LIMITED USE ON A WEBSITE:
ONE image may be used on your personal (non-commercial) web site with the following stipulations.
- A link to alexgrey.com must be visible WITH the image.
- The image used must be no larger than 400 pixels/ 3 inches in either dimension.
- Images of Alex Grey’s art MAY NOT be used on a homepage.
- Images of Alex Grey’s art MAY NOT be used as backgrounds, cropped, adapted customized or otherwise presented in a manner that obscures or interrupts the image. No type over the image.
- Images may not be used on web sites considered inappropriate by the artist.
- Images may not be modified, colored, animated, adapted, collaged, used as a graphic design element, or altered in any way.
AS AN AVATAR:
Images must not exceed 200 pixels in any dimension
- Images used must include alexgrey.com with the image.
- Images may not be modified, colored, animated, collaged, adapted, customized or used as an element in a graphic design
Under the following conditions, tattoos are a free use:
- A donation to Chapel of Sacred Mirrors is encouraged by both the tattoo bearer and the tattoo artist replicating the original images by Alex Grey.
- Engage an artist provably capable of rendering the best reproduction of the work for the most beautiful results.
Send a well lit photo of the finished tattoo with your name to [email protected] (works in progress photos welcome).
Alex Grey reserves the right of free use regarding any photo of his art as a tattoo.
Alex Grey may use the image of a tattoo of his artwork in a subsequent publication.
Images are not provided for this use.
MAGAZINES, BOOKS, and SCHOLARLY PAPERS:
If art is intended to accompany an interview or article featuring or discussing in some depth the life and art of Alex Grey or the Chapel of Sacred Mirrors, files will be provided and the use is free.
Use of the art of Alex Grey to illustrate any subject other than a discussion of the art and life of Alex Grey or the Chapel of Sacred Mirrors is not permitted.
For permission to use art in a magazine, book or scholarly paper discussing in some depth the art and life of Alex Grey or the Chapel of Sacred Mirrors, send a description of the intended use to [email protected]
PERMISSION FOR USE IS NOT GRANTED:
Reproduction rights for the use of art by Alex Grey are reserved for projects that benefit the Chapel of Sacred Mirrors (CoSM, a 501(c)(3) publicly support charity and interfaith church)
OR projects that Alex specifically gives his endorsement.
Alex does NOT grant permission or sell reproduction rights for the use of his art on collateral material — such as, brochures, business cards, pamphlets, information promoting a private practice of any kind.
Reproduction rights are not granted for
- Use in self-published books, workbooks or technical books.
- No photo copies whatsoever.
- No blotter art.
- No party fliers.
- No personal business promotion, including business cards, brochures, websites, etc.
- No projections at parties without approval.
- Alex does NOT allow his art to be collaged, customized, copied, adapted, incorporated, photoshopped, in anyway altered or used within another artists work.
If you have questions whether the use you have in mind is permitted, send your inquiry with a description to [email protected].
Copyrighted Infringement is a violation of law that may be liable for statutory damages plus legal fees for each infringed upon image.
Info about copyright: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-fairuse.html