|Can I Use Alex Grey’s Work?||
Alex Grey’s artwork and writings are protected by national and international copyright laws including The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Please respect the intent of these laws which enable the development of the Vision of Alex Grey and the Chapel of Sacred Mirrors.
HONORING THE SOURCE IS AT THE HEART OF THE MISSION OF THE CHAPEL OF SACRED MIRRORS AND THE ART OF ALEX GREY. PLEASE HONOR THE SOURCE OF THE IMAGES BY RESPECTING THESE GUIDELINES.
If you are unclear whether the use you have in mind is permitted, please inquire through this contact form with a description of intended use.
This document is subject to continual revision without notification.
WORKSHOP or LECTURE
Under the following conditions and for no fee, you may use images by Alex Grey in your workshop or lecture :
– As a “power point” presentation
– A slide talk, or
– Using an overhead projector lecture
As long as you credit the artist and give the web site address
“alexgrey.com” while the artwork is on the screen
or poster but may only be used for the purpose of the lecture or workshop.
Fliers, xeroxes or reproductions of any kind are NOT permitted for use in an educational or
LIMITED USE ON A WEBSITE:
You are permitted to use ONE image on your personal (non-commercial) web site with the following stipulations.
1. A link to AlexGrey.com must be visible WITH the image.
2) The image used must be no larger than 400 pixels/ 3 inches in either dimension.
2) Images MAY NOT be used on the homepage.
3) Images MAY NOT be used as backgrounds, cropped, or otherwise presented in a manner which obscures the entire image in any way.
4) Images may not be used on web sites deemed inappropriate.
5) Images may not be modified, colored, animated, adapted, collaged, used as a graphic design element, or altered in any way.
To use an image as an Avatar:
1) Images must not exceed 200 pixels in any dimension
2) Images used must have the Alex Grey web site address plainly visible (alexgrey.com). If the requested and approved image is not already available with the URL text as described, we will create one for use under the terms of agreement.
3) Images may not be modified, colored, animated, or used as an element in a graphic design under any circumstances unless through separate written license between Alex Grey and the specific web site.
For no fee, you may have a tattoo made from Alex’s art under the following conditions:
1) Employ the best possible artist who is capable of rendering the best reproduction of the work and thereby giving the most beautiful results.
2) Send a good quality photo of the finished tattoo with your name to [email protected]. (work in progress photo also requested but optional).
3) Grant free use of the photo of your tattoo for any subsequent publication approved by Alex Grey.
Images WILL NOT be provided by Alex Grey or CoSM. Images may be found in published books, on posters, greeting cards, etc. that can be purchased at the website shop.
MAGAZINES, BOOKS, and SCHOLARLY PAPERS:
If art is intended to accompany an interview or article featuring or discussing in some depth the subject of Alex Grey’s artwork or the Chapel of Sacred Mirrors, jpegs will be provided and the use is free.
Use of art to illustrate any subject other than a discussion of the work of Alex Grey or the Chapel of Sacred Mirrors is NOT PERMITTED.
Please communicate via the contact form the intention and description of the use of Alex’s art in these contexts.
PERMISSION FOR USE IS NOT GRANTED FOR:
Because the use of Alex Grey’s art would constitute an endorsement, reproduction rights are reserved for projects that benefit the Chapel of Sacred Mirrors (CoSM, a 501(c)(3) publicly support charity and church).OR for use in projects that Alex specifically endorses.
Alex DOES NOT grant permission or sell reproduction rights for the use of his art on collateral material such as brochures, business cards, pamphlets, that promote a private practice of any kind.
Permission is not granted for reproduction rights for use in self-published books, workbooks or CD’s.
Alex Grey does NOT give permission to reproduce his artwork for:
No photo or Xeroxed-type copies whatsoever.
No blotter art.
No party fliers.
No personal business promotion. This includes business cards, brochures, web sites, etc.
No projections at parties without approval.
Alex does NOT allow his art to be collaged, customized, copied, adapted, incorporated, photoshopped, or in anyway altered or used within another work of art. He does NOT give permission to use his artwork within another artists work.
If you have questions whether the use you have in mind is permitted, ASK. Send a request and description of use via the this contact form.
Uploading or downloading works protected by copyright without the authority of the copyright owner is an infringement of the copyright owner’s exclusive rights of reproduction and/or distribution. Anyone found to have infringed a copyrighted work may be liable for statutory damages up to $30,000 for each work infringed and, if willful infringement is proven by the copyright owner, that amount may be increased up to $150,000 for each work infringed. In addition, an infringer of a work may also be liable for the attorney’s fees incurred by the copyright owner to enforce his or her rights.
If you have any other questions about copyright: